Issues & AdvocacyFederal
Members of Congress will be in their home districts for the August congressional recess (House: Aug. 3 – Sept. 8; Senate: Aug. 10-Sept. 8). This in-district work period is an excellent opportunity for the AIA, its components, and members to further develop relationships with members of Congress by meeting with them to discuss the issues important to architects and their communities. In particular, it is an effective way for the AIA community to bring awareness to key legislation (see below) being looked at in the House and Senate in the coming months that is part of the AIA agenda for 2009.
AIA National encourages discussion of the following issues during these meetings:
- Federal Transportation Policy
- Energy Efficiency in Housing Act
- Green Transit-Oriented Design and Construction
These issues are not new to AIA members. Though we have pushed for some of these issues in the past, pending action in Congress has added momentum to this agenda and opened the door for legislation to pass in the near future.
Visit Preparation and Follow-up
- Visit the AIA Advocacy Center to learn more about your member of Congress
- Request a meeting by downloading the sample appointment request letter
- E-mail AIA National to let us know how your meeting went so we can follow-up appropriately
- Send a thank-you letter
- E-mail Adam Melis or call (202) 626-7383