Architect's Knowledge ResourceDocuments
Charleston CRAN - AIA Chapter Update
By Bill Huey, Past President
Most of our activities focus on the local level. We believe that by addressing local issues, we represent the profession in a positive light to our community. We are proud to be one of the most active CRAN Chapters in the country, and would be glad to reach out to any groups who may be interested in getting started to tell our story. We are also fortunate to have Chris Rose, a CRAN Steering Committee member, in our chapter.
Recent activities include:
• Charleston CRAN partnered with Charleston Trident Habitat for Humanity in a design charrette, see www.crancharleston.org/storage/post-images/CRAN_Charrette.pdf
• Our Chapter made two charitable contributions at the end of 2012. One went to East Cooper Habitat for Humanity in the amount of $1,000 to replace tools stolen from one of their job sites. The other was a $1,000 contribution to the Charleston Region American Red Cross Heroes for Fire Victims Campaign to aid a local family displaced by a house fire. This was our second such contribution; we also made a donation in 2011.
• We compiled a list of local individual interns available to work as independent contractors. The idea with this list is to provide income and IDP hours for our next generation of local architects, and to foster the future community of professionals.
• We had one of several social and networking events with the Charleston Trident Homebuilders Association, pulling the design and construction communities together in support of each other.
• Most of our activities are summarized on our website, www.crancharleston.org