Contract DocumentsContract Documents
What is a digital signature?
A digital signature is an encrypted electronic file that can be used to verify the identity the signer of an electronic document and ensure that the original content of the electronic document is unchanged.
Will AIA Contract Documents software now allow me to sign my documents digitally?
Version 3.3 of AIA Contract Documents software enables AIA Contract Documents to be signed digitally. You will still need your own digital signature as well as an application like Adobe® Acrobat Standard or Adobe® Acrobat Professional to apply your digital signature to your AIA Contract Documents final documents.
Which AIA Contract Documents allow digital signatures?
See AIA Contract Documents Enabled for Digital Signatures for a list of documents that can be signed digitally.
How do I use AIA Contract Documents software to enable my AIA Contract Documents to be executed digitally?
In versions 3.2 and earlier of AIA Contract Documents software, digital signatures are not supported. Starting with version 3.3 of AIA Contract Documents software, software users have the option of using a written signature (i.e., a pen on the printed copy of the final document) or a digital signature to execute AIA Contract Documents.
By default, your AIA Contract Documents are set to support written signatures. To enable the digital signature option in your AIA Contract Documents software:
1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. In the Options box that appears, click the Finals tab, and then under Digital Signatures, click Ask Each Time from the drop-down list.
After changing this setting, every time you generate a final document, you will be prompted whether you want to execute your document with a written signature or a digital signature. If you select the digital signature option, your document will be modified as follows:
• The security of the PDF format final document allows the insertion of a digital signature.
• A new digital signature placeholder page is inserted in the final document immediately after the written signature block.
• The notation “see attached digital signatures page” is inserted in the written signature block.
Your document is ready for you to use your digital signing software to execute your document with your digital signature.
What do I need to add digital signatures to AIA Contract Documents?
At a minimum, you will need a:
• digital signature (you can create your own using Adobe or other software) or purchase one from a vendor, and
• digital signing software application.