For MembersMember Resources
One of the biggest mistakes in A/E marketing is to not put enough focus into securing referrals from clients – or to make it an afterthought once a project is complete.
Getting referrals from clients should be a primary goal of every A/E marketer. These referrals are important for updating the references in your proposals, but they bring other benefits as well.
- Share referrals with your principal. Keep him/her informed about clients’ opinions of your firm’s performance.
- Share referrals with your firm’s project teams. Let them know that their work is appreciated and that clients want to work with them again.
- Share referrals with the rest of your firm. PSMJ knows of some offices that display “trophy cases” in their front lobby, for all to see.
- Share referrals with existing clients, in preparing to ask them for a referral. This will show off that other clients were happy with your firm’s work, and will provide your existing client with good examples for referral letters.
- AIA Best Practice: Maximizing Your Marketing & Business Development ROI (PDF)
- AIA Best Practice: Marketing Intelligence (PDF)
- Marketing: Your Best Strategic Weapon
This article was first published in the A/E Marketing Journal, a publication of PSMJ Resources, Inc.
AIA Members: Save $100 on a one-year subscription to the Professional Services Management Journal. Use promo code AIAINTRO at checkout.