Practicing ArchitecturePracticing Architecture
For more than 50 years, Barbie has empowered girls to dream big and explore a world without limits. This year, Barbie unveils I Can Be … Architect, encouraging a new generation of girls to pursue a career in architecture.
Along with introduction of the newest Barbie, the American Institute of Architects and Mattel announce the Architect Barbie Dream House Design Competition. It’s an opportunity for architects to design a home for Barbie that meets her guidelines, which include room for an office, open living and dining areas and plenty of room for her five pets, including her giraffe.
• Any AIA member is eligible to compete.
• The contest is open for submission on May 16, 2011 at the web address you’re on right now.
• The deadline for submissions ends on June 27, 2011.
• The AIA and Mattel will announce five finalists on July 12, 2011 and the public will be able to vote for their favorites between July 12 and August 1, 2011.
• The winner will be announced by the AIA on August 2, 2011.
• You should read and understand the requirements for submission available by clicking here (PDF).
Architect Barbie Dream House Design
Of course, the Dream House will be home to Architect Barbie (PDF). Designed to ensure she captured the spirit and style of young architects, Barbie designers consulted with two members of the AIA (PDF) - Despina Stratigakos, Professor of Architectural History at the University at Buffalo and Kelly Hayes McAlonie, Associate Director of the Capital Planning Group at the University at Buffalo and the 2011 President Elect for AIA New York State.
''For more than a century, women have chosen to become architects to express and give form to new ways of living. Yet some still consider architecture an unusual profession for a woman. Architect Barbie salutes the many generations of women architects and encourages young girls to imagine a better world they can design and build,'' says Stratigakos.
Career of the Year
Architect Barbie, the brand’s ‘career of the year,’ enters the design field on the 125th anniversary of women’s acceptance to professional architectural associations. Available August 2011 at retailers nationwide, Architect Barbie will be available in Caucasian and African American versions.
Barbie I Can Be … Architect