Vancouver Convention Centre West
Vancouver Convention Centre West | Notes of Interest
The Vancouver Convention Centre West showcases deep currents of thought in the Vancouver community about sustainable design and civic involvement. The conceptual goal of the 22-acre waterfront development is to close the gap between the natural ecosystem surrounding Vancouver and the human ecosystem concentrated at the downtown core.
Certified LEED® Canada Platinum, the project weaves together architecture, interior architecture, and urban design in a unified whole that functions as a living part of both the city and the harbor, bringing together the complex ecology, vibrant local culture, and urban environment, embellishing their interrelationships through architectural form and materiality.
The internal metabolism of the building integrates resources from the site, including seawater heat pumps that use the constant temperature of seawater to provide free heating and cooling throughout the year. The impact on marine life from these heat exchanges is minimal, because of the harbor’s strong tidal mixing and the availability of deep water for inlet and discharge pipes.
The facility triples the downtown convention capacity of the city, drawing much larger conventions than was previously possible, while significantly expanding and stitching together the public realm at the water’s edge. The project adds 400,000 square feet of open space, including a plaza, waterfront promenade, and networked bikeways, while also serving as a multimodal hub for public transportation. The perimeter enclosure of the building is an ultra-clear glass system, which provides strong linkages between interior and exterior public spaces and visually reinforces the integration of urban and marine context into the user experience.
- Acoustic Consultants: Arup Acoustics; Daniel Lyzun & Associates
- Audio Visual: Sparling
- Barrier Free: Barrier Free Design
- Building Code Consultant: LMDG Building Code Consultants Ltd.
- Building Envelope Consultant: Morrison Hershfield
- Commissioning Authority and Mechanical Commissioning Agent: KD Engineering Co.
- Communications Consultant: The Pace Group
- Contractor: PCL Construction Enterprises
- Cost Consultant: BTY Group
- Design/Development Manager: K. Grassi Project Development Ltd.
- Engineer: Civil: Sandwell Engineering Inc.
- Engineer: Electrical: Schenke/Bawol Engineering Ltd.
- Engineer: Fire Protection: GHL Consultants Ltd.
- Engineer: Geotechnical: Golder Associates
- Engineer: Materials: Levelton Consultants
- Engineer: Mechanical: Stantec Consulting
- Engineer: Parking and Traffic: Bunt & Associates Engineering Ltd.; ND Lea Consulting Ltd.
- Engineer: Structural: Glotman Simpson Consulting Engineers and Earth Tech (Canada) Inc.
- Environmental Consultant: EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd.
- Ethics Advisor: Carol Roberts
- Facility Operations Consultant: Buckley-Christison International LLC
- Food Service Consultant: William Caruso & Associates
- Horticultural & Ecological Consultant: Rana Creek Habitat Restoration
- Landscape Architect: PWL Partnership Landscape Architects Inc.
- Marine/Foundation Consultant: WorleyParsons Westmar
- Project Management: Stantec Consulting ; VCCEP Ltd.
- Public Art Consultant: Public Art Management
- Quality Management Consultant: Levelton Consultants Ltd.
- Retail Consultant: Urbanics Consultants Ltd.
- Revenue Maximization: Bell-Irving Grauer Enterprise Corporation
- Security Advisor: 3Si Risk Strategies
- Signage & Wayfinding Consultant: Gottschalk & Ash
- Specialty Lighting Consultant: Horton Lees Brogden Lighting Design
- Surveyor: Butler Sundvick & Associates
- Sustainability Coordinator: Sustainability Solutions Group
- Telecommunications Consultant: RADA Technology Consulting Inc.
- Value Engineering Facilitator: Olympic Associates
- Vertical Transportation Consultant: John W. Gunn Consultants Inc.
- Wind Consultant: DFA Engineering
- © PWL Partnership
- © LMN Architects
- © Vancouver Convention Centre
- © Nic Lehoux
This large project impressed us on many levels, showing how a typically large, introverted program can thoughtfully reinforce and contribute to a prominent urban site.
A carefully considered 360º architecture uniquely responds to a variety of urban and natural adjacencies.
It’s “fifth elevation” is a wonderful natural habitat that has elegantly been designed as a visual extension of the adjacent waterfront park.
From within, unique vistas, both far and near, are framed, while the canted glass also creates a powerful connection to the water below.
More about Vancouver Convention Centre West.
2013 Institute Honor Awards for Architecture Jury
- Mary Katherine Lanzillotta, FAIA (Chair)
- Hartman-Cox Architects, Washington, DC
- Brian Fitzsimmons, AIA
- Fitzsimmons Architects, Oklahoma City
- John Kane, FAIA
- Architekton, Tempe, Arizona
- William Leddy, FAIA
- Leddy Maytum Stacy Architects, San Francisco
- Philip Loheed, AIA
- BTA Architects, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Robert Maschke, AIA
- robert maschke ARCHITECTS inc., Cleveland
- Douglas L. Milburn, Assoc. AIA
- Isaksen Glerum Wachter LLC, Urbana, Illinois
- Becky Joyce Yannes, AIAS Representative
- Drexel University, Philadelphia