2014 Recipient | AIA Housing Awards
Merritt Crossing Senior Apartments | Notes of Interest
The project excels at providing safe, nurturing, healthy and affordable residences for Oakland seniors with incomes between 30% and 50% of area median. Over one half of the apartments were set aside for seniors who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, living with HIV/AIDS or challenged by mental illness. The project is a high-density residential development with a mix of studios; one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments that were thoughtfully fit intos its downtown Oakland site between an inner city neighborhood and a freeway.
The integration of community room, supportive services, communal laundry, lobby and garden courtyard on the ground floor were designed to mitigate senior isolation and foster a sense of community among the residents.
The colorful building design responds to its location at the edge of downtown Oakland’s eclectic and historic Chinatown. The south side of the building facing the freeway has a layered façade that provides solar and acoustical mitigation while creating a varied experience for passing drivers.
To control operating costs for the non-profit owner, the project was constructed for enhanced durability, weather protection and energy use. Dedicated to high environmental standards, the developer focused on healthy living and energy savings while electing to test a combination of sustainability rating systems. Two renewable energy systems – solar hot water panels and photovoltaic electric panels – cover the roof and reduce common area energy use. The building was designed to use 46% less energy than the average multi-family housing.
- Developer: Satellite Affordable Housing Associates
- General Contractor: Nibbi Brothers General Contractors
- Civil Engineer: Luk & Associates
- Structural Engineer: KPFF San Francisco
- Mechanical Engineer: MHC Engineers
- Electrical Engineer: C&N Engineers
- Lighting: Architectural Lighting Design
- Acoustics: Charles M. Salter Associates
- Green Rater: Beyond Efficiency
- Geotechnical: Sladden Engineering
- Photo Credit: © Tim Griffith
Merritt Crossing Senior Apartments
- Architect: Leddy Maytum Stacy Architects
- Owner: Satellite Affordable Housing Associates
- Location: Oakland, CA
Category: Multifamily Housing
Inclusive! Thoughtful integration of design, sustainability and site issues for an underserved population.
Good layering in façade and plan, simple but engaging, traditional horizontal siding combined with simple modern form.
2014 Housing Awards Jury
- Nancy Ludwig, FAIA, Chair
- ICON architecture, inc.
- Charlestown, Massachusetts
- David Barista
- Building Design+Construction
- Arlington Heights, Illinois
- Louise Braverman, FAIA
- Louise Braverman Architect
- New York City
- Jean Rehkamp Larson, AIA
- Rehkamp Larson Architects, Inc.