Practicing ArchitectureInternational Union of Architects Professional Practice Commission
UIA PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE COMMISSION
UIA Accord and Recommended Guidelines
• Publication of UIA Accord and Recommended Guidelines in one volume completed prior to 2007 PPC Meeting.
• 1,500 copies of both the English and French editions.
• Inventory at UIA Secretariat in Paris. Copies available at no cost except for postage.
• Copies of English edition mailed to all Commission members.
• In 2008 a Russian edition was published by the Russian Member Section.
PPC 2007 Meeting Minutes
• Produced October 2007 meeting minutes.
• Distributed electronically to registrants.
• Posted on web-site with available appendices and notified all Commission members of availability.
Durbin, South Africa
UIA Council Meeting
Durbin, South Africa
• Represented Commission and provided summary report on Commission’s 2007 annual meeting.
• Presented the proposed Commission work program for the 2008-2011 UIA triennium.
• Presented an amendment to the UIA Accord Policy on Internship/ Training/ Practical Experience together with an Appendix to that Policy setting forth a recommended form for a Mutual Recognition Agreement.
• Unanimous approval by Council.
• Posted on Commission web-site.
WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION
• Maintained contact with Dale Honeck
• Working Party on Domestic Regulations has not proceeded with regulations affecting Architecture
• The most recent information indicates that when they do, it will most likely be in a horizontal format as opposed to sector specific
• Their agricultural efforts collapsed in 2008
• Announcement of the Commission’s 2007-2008 Drafting Panels with an invitation for UIA member sections to participate
• Announcement of the Commissions 2008 Meeting with an invitation for all UIA member sections to appoint representatives to the Commission and to attend the Meeting
• Updated postings in English and French
• Site address: www.aia.org/about_uia
UIA ASSEMBLY & CONGRESS TURIN, ITALY
• At the Assembly the Professional Practice Commission presented an overview of its work, highlighting accomplishments, continuing deliberations and the Council approved topics for the next triennium
• The PPC presented a well attended and professionally prepared Session at the UIA Congress. Thank you to Tillman Prinz for coordinating that event and to all who presented materials
2008 ANNUAL MEETING
• Collaborated with the 2008 Annual Meeting host, Council of the Order of Architects of Morocco in planning the meeting
• Ms. Firdaous Oussidhoum has served as primary contact to plan on-site aspects of this meeting
• The meeting has been planned and coordinated with the Internship Roundtable held on 10 December and the African Union of Architects General Assembly on 13 and 14 December
• Zhuang Weimin has continued to serve as Co-Director of the Commission, beginning his service in 2005.
• Russell Keune served as Co-Director and Secretary of the Commission until the conclusion of the 2008 UIA Assembly in Turin, Italy, having assumed that role in 2002.
• Douglas L Steidl began service as Co-Director and Secretary upon confirmation of his nomination during the UIA Post-Congress Council Meeting in Turin.
• Doug practiced architecture in the United States until retiring in 2007, serving as AIA President in 2005 and currently serving as NAAB President.
• Douglas L Steidl, FAIA, Secretary
• Ellen Delage, Assoc AIA, Director of International Relations
• Theresa Fulginiti, Assistant for International Relations