Practicing ArchitectureKnowledge Communities
CAE Leadership Group members James LaPosta Jr., AIA, and Cheri Hendricks, Assoc. AIA, presented the 2004-2005 CAE Design Awards at an evening reception at the Finnish Embassy on February 7, 2005, during the CAE conference in Washington D.C. Approximately 160 submittals were received by the deadline in December 2004, and the jury met at AIA headquarters in January 2005.
The 2005 design awards jury included the following members: James E. LaPosta Jr., AIA—principal, Jeter Cook & Jepson, Hartford (jury chair); Ronald Bogle—president, American Architectural Foundation, Washington, D.C.; John Patkau, AIA, FRAIC—founder, Patkau Architects, Vancouver, B.C.; Tim Dufault, AIA—principal, Cuningham Associates, Minneapolis; Susan J. Wolff, EdD—dean of instruction, Columbia Gorge Community College, The Dalles, Ore.
Awards of Excellence
Awards of excellence are typically given to registered architects whose projects represent exemplary practice and exhibit innovation and excellence in all three of the following areas of educational facility planning and design:
• A planning and design process that is educational, collaborative, and builds the capacity of the school and its community to support its students
• Enhancement of the client's educational program through the thoughtful planning and design of facilities
• Integration of function and aesthetics in designs that also respect the surrounding community and context.
- Academy Upper School, Greenwich, Conn.
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- James Stewart Center for Mathematics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ohio
Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects
- Academy and Community Center, San Antonio
Lake/Flato Architects Inc.
- Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM), Los Angeles
Clive Wilkinson Architects
Warren Skaaren Environmental Learning Center at Westcave Preserve, Dripping Springs, Texas—Robert Jackson & Michael McElhaney Architects.
- Pool" at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, Los Angeles. The sunken pit, filled with soft cushions, provides plug-and-play capabilities for informal group discussions.
Photo courtesy of Clive Wilkinson Architects.
Awards of Merit
Awards of Merit were given for projects of superior quality that represent exemplary practice in two areas of planning and design. The following projects received merit awards this year:
Francis Parker School, San Diego
Lake/Flato Architects Inc.
Islandwood Environmental Learning Center, Bainbridge Island, Wash.
Mithun Architects + Designers + Planners
Horace Mann Elementary School, San Jose, Calif.
Moore Ruble Yudell Architects & Planners
Joseph A. Steger Student Life Center, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati
Moore Ruble Yudell Architects & Planners.
Citations call attention to outstanding features of individual projects. A single project received a citation this year:
Holy Rosary Catholic Church Complex, St. Amant, La.
Trahan Architects, APAC.
The Holy Rosary Catholic Church complex, St. Amant, La., received a citation for outstanding features. In this photo, the oratory is dominant in its unique placement, geometry, and massing.
Photo courtesy of Trahan Architects.
Return to the CAE Educational Facility Design Awards Home page.