Chicago Architects Declaration: Commitment to Collaboration
For immediate release:
Washington, D.C. – July 2, 2014 – On June 27, during the American Institute of Architects’ 2014 National Convention in Chicago, a forum comprised of leaders from 12 international organizations, which represent architects across the globe, reaffirmed the following three important principles:
1. The importance of global collaboration to exchange knowledge and information to allow architects to act in an effective and coordinated manner to respond to the significant challenges facing societies across the world.
2. The leadership role that architects must play in advocating and implementing governance by design and design with purpose to address the social, environmental, cultural and ethical issues of our time.
3. The responsibility of the architects in designing to urgently address climate change, carbon reduction and resilience of buildings for the benefit of society and built environment of the future.
The International Presidents’ Forum, now in its 13th year, was first held at the AIA's 2002 National Convention. You can learn more about the forum here. In attendance at this year’s forum and signatories of the commitment include:
• Helene Combs Dreiling, FAIA, President, American Institute of Architects
• Luciano Lazzari, Hon. AIA, President, Architects’ Council of Europe
• David Karotkin, FRAIA, Hon. AIA, President, Australian Institute of Architects
• Marianela Jiménez Calderon, Hon. AIA, President, Colegio de Arquitectos de Costa Rica
• Haroldo Pinheiro Villar de Queiroz, Hon. AIA, President, Conselho de Arquitetura e Urbanismo do Brasil
• Guillermo Marrufo Ruiz, Hon. AIA, President, Federación de Colegios de Arquitectos de la República Mexicana
• Joao Suplicy Neto, Hon. AIA, President, Federación Panamericana de Asociaciones de Arquitectos
• Kwang Man Lee, Hon. AIA, President, Federation of Institutes of Korean Architects
• Albert Dubler, Hon. AIA, President, International Union of Architects
• Yoshihiko Sano, Intl. Assoc. AIA, Acting President, Japan Institute of Architects
• Jean-Pierre Pelletier, FRAIC, President-elect, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada
• Angela Brady, Hon. AIA, Past President, Royal Institute of British Architects
About The American Institute of Architects
Founded in 1857, members of the American Institute of Architects consistently work to create more valuable, healthy, secure, and sustainable buildings, neighborhoods, and communities. Through nearly 300 state and local chapters, the AIA advocates for public policies that promote economic vitality and public well being. Members adhere to a code of ethics and conduct to ensure the highest professional standards. The AIA provides members with tools and resources to assist them in their careers and business as well as engaging civic and government leaders, and the public to find solutions to pressing issues facing our communities, institutions, nation and world. Visit www.aia.org.