Career StagesNational Associates Committee
The National Associates Committee has developed a listserv for all AIA Associate Directors across all eighteen regions. The goal of the listserv is to connect Associate Directors to more easily share ideas, learn from one another, and discuss the needs of Associate AIA members.
The Associate Directors ListServ is administered by the AIA Center for Emerging Professionals. This communication tool is offered as a resource to encourage the exchange of information between and among individuals in similar volunteer leadership positions within the Institute. The Associate Directors ListServ is a private forum with subscription available only to individuals holding specific volunteer positions.
If you are a current Associate Director and would like to be a part of the Associate Directors ListServ/Discussion List, please send the following information to email@example.com with the subject line “Associate Director ListServ Request:”
AIA Member #
Your Position Title
Jurisdiction (State or Chapter/Component you represent)
Time Frame for your position (Start Date & End Date)
Are you replacing a current Associate Director in your jurisdiction? If so, who are you replacing?
Please allow 10 business days for your status as an Associate Director member with the listserv to take effect. Once you have been added to the Associate Directors ListServ, you will receive a “Welcome Letter” from the listserv account (an @lyris.aia.org email account). The “Welcome Letter” as well as all further communication will be sent to your primary email account currently associated with your AIA membership and AIA.org account. Using different email addresses for varying types of AIA communications is not possible.
When participating in a discussion list, please remember the following:
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, committee, position, and email address.
- State concisely and clearly the specific topic of the comments in the subject line. This allows others to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for subscribers to search later by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply, delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from. To send a message to the entire group, copy the listerv email address into the “To” line of the message in your email application.
- Send messages such as “thanks for the information” or “me, too” to individuals—not to the entire list. By default, the “Reply” feature will respond to the individual who sent the message, not the listserv.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” through the listserv. Instead, use the Web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from the list. See instructions here. See FAQs for instructions to change your primary contact email address.
- Do not challenge or attack others. The discussions on the lists are meant to stimulate conversation, not create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a listserv message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Use caution as information posted on the lists is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Price discussions are not allowed.
- The AIA reserves the right to remove anyone who violates these guidelines.
- Do not post virus warnings or other public service announcements.
Listed below are some key commands that you can use to change your account settings using the lyris web interface. Send these commands to the server address from the email address registered with the Lyris Discussion List about which you are writing: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can place the commands in either the subject line or in the body of the message.
To turn off the discussion list, send set listname nomail to email@example.com. For example: set AssocDir no mail, etc. Enter the highlighted text in the subject line of your e-mail and leave the body of the e-mail blank.
To turn on the discussion list when you return to the office, send set listname mail as the subject of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org using the procedure described above. (Example: set AssocDir mail.)
If you prefer to receive your Lyris e-mail in a specific format, send another e-mail to email@example.com with the appropriate settings command from the list below in the subject line.
To receive mail as it is contributed to the list: set listname mail
To receive a daily digest with all the messages of the day: set listname digest
To receive a daily digest with all message of the day in MIME format: set listname MIMEdigest
To receive a daily index of the subject lines of the messages of the day: set listname index
To receive no mail: set listname nomail
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I change my email address (for AIA.org communications)?
- Sign In to your account at www.aia.org.
- Go to the “For Members” web page.
- Click the “Edit Your Personal Information” link on the far left of the web page, under “AIA Members: Top visited links by AIA Members.” (If you have not yet signed in, the provided link will prompt you to do so before providing your “Individual Information.”)
- To the far right of the “Individual Information” section, click Edit.
- You will be prompted with a form of personal information. In the “Primary Contact Information” section, click the “Manage Contact Info” button.
- Next to “My Email Addresses,” click the Add button. A pop-up window will appear. (Ensure your browser allows pop-ups from AIA.org.)
- Select email type, enter your Primary Contact email address, and also ensure that the box at the bottom of the pop-up window next to “primary?” is checked. Click Save.
- You will begin receiving all AIA communications via the Primary Contact email you provided.