Wood-Based Construction Mass Timber and Beyond
The Wisconsin DNR in partnership with the WI Wood Marketing Team, the Forest Stewards Guild and AIA Wisconsin
Advancements in wood technologies have expanded the use of wood in design and construction. Mass timber products such as cross-laminated timber (CLT) have emerged and offer opportunities in tall wood construction. Explore how wood building systems are a sustainable, cost-effective solution for tackling modern design needs.
The event will feature a tour of Promega Crossroads Center, showcasing an innovative mix of glulam and cross-laminated timber.
- Explore benefits of using wood as building component, including structural versatility, prefabrication, lighter energy and carbon footprints, and reduced labor costs.
- Examine code and standard updates relevant to mass timber elements and the State of Wisconsin process for gaining approval of special projects
- Investigate the extent of locally sourced wood including urban wood, as a resource available to the construction industry and how to specify urban wood for a project.
- Identify mass timber and other wood building products available in North America and consider how they can be used.
- Acquire knowledge of environmental and performance research of mass timber.
- Discover how tall timber can achieve structural performance and approval in the US.
Registration is required.