AIA Wisconsin, Kahler Slater
This ARE guided study group will cover designated categories of content for the conversation to focus on at each of nine meetings.
1 - Introduction to the ARE Tuesday, October 23, 2018
- Russ LaFrambois will provide a general overview of the AXP and ARE process to clearly explain moving ahead with your goals for architectural experience and licensure.
- Meet Jake Walker and Peter Bissen who will lead ARE Cooperative meetings throughout the year.
- Learn about AIA resources and events.
2 – Zoning and Site
Tuesday, November 06, 2018
- Site surveys, including topography, easements, setbacks, and rights-of-way.
- Zoning ordinances and other local requirements.
- Reviewing geotechnical, soil boring, and environmental impact reports.
- Analyzing owner’s program with adjacency and bubble diagrams.
3 – Building Codes
Tuesday, November 27, 2018
- Review applicability of and navigate model building codes and local amendments thereof.
- Review national code standards related to accessibility, existing buildings and historic preservation.
4 – Construction Materials
Tuesday, December 18, 2018
- Review the use of wood, steel and concrete as building materials.
- Discuss finish materials, especially as they relate to code compliance.
5 – Building Systems
Tuesday, January 08, 2019
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and their applicability.
- Structural systems and their integration with code requirements and use of a building.
- Architectural coordination with and between all building systems.
6 – Project Documentation
Tuesday, January 29, 2019
- Review the purpose and scope for all methods of documentation during all project phases from proposals to final completion.
- Includes notes, drawings, project manual, construction changes, punch lists, submittals and field reports, plus much more.
7 – AIA Contracts
Tuesday, February 19, 2019
- Identify and navigate the standard suite of AIA contracts.
- Understand the contractual connection between all parties within a project delivery method.
- Discuss contract lexicon.
8 – Project Management
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
- Expand on the unique role and responsibility of a project manager.
- Handling internal resource management, external consultant coordination, project budgeting & estimating, and quality control relative to the project delivery method.
- Reviewing and applying 3rd party reports and sustainability goals to a project.
9 – Business Management
Tuesday, April 02, 2019
- Expand on the unique role and responsibility of a business owner or manager.
- Understanding legal, ethical, and insurance requirements of business ownership and their risks.
- Establishing systems for legal protections in an architectural office.