Artist’s Palette: The Aesthetic Versatility of Precast Concrete
- June 21, 2017
- 11:55 am –1:05 pm CST
- Western Technical College
- 4th Floor - Integrated Technology Bldg 400 S7th St North
- La Crosse WI 54601
AIA NW Wisconsin
The aesthetics of a structure are very important, as it is what most people identify with. High performance materials should provide aesthetic versatility in order to efficiently meet a structure's architectural requirements. Precast concrete provides incredible aesthetic versatility from providing multiple colors and textures, to developing shapes, forms and very ornate details. Precast can also simulate or be veneered with natural materials providing all of their beauty, but with the added speed, durability, many other benefits of precast. This presentation will provide an overview of the many finishes available with precast concrete, along with methodologies for achieving them. The discussion will include combining multiple finishes into single panels, veneers and embedded materials, selection of mix designs, approaches to achieving colors, proper specification, and procedures to ensure expectations are aligned.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain various finish options of precast concrete.
- Describe methods to achieve color, form and texture.
- Explain how clay products and natural stones can be veneered to precast concrete to speed construction (and thereby reducing onsite, environmental impact) and reduce costs.
- Discover the latest innovations in aesthetics and finishes.
Lunch in included. Registration is required.
Amy Holliday Precast Concrete Institute