Preparing for the ARE
AIA is here to help you on your path to licensure. One of the primary requirements for becoming a licensed architect is passing the Architect Registration Exam (ARE). The exam covers areas such as project and practice management, construction, and programming, preparing you for professional practice in the US.
AIA offers a variety of resources to assist you in passing the exam and getting that architect stamp you’ve been working for. Reach out to your local AIA chapter to find study groups, prep sessions, and study materials. Working alongside other AIA members can ease the sometimes daunting task of preparing for the exam.
And remember to take advantage of your 10 percent member discount at the AIA Store when you purchase study materials.
AIA ARE Prep: Powered by Black Spectacles
AIA has partnered with Black Spectacles to provide associates with an exclusive member-only discount on ARE prep video tutorials. Available as an annual or monthly subscription, AIA ARE Prep: Powered by Black Spectacles offers a new way for emerging professionals to prepare for the ARE. The video series includes:
- comprehensive content covering both ARE 4.0 and ARE 5.0 topics
- 100 hours of video
- built-in exam practice questions
- real-word extras including interviews with architects
- flexible subscription packages of one month, six months, or 12 months
- a 15 percent discount for current AIA associate members
AIA members: Get your 15 percent discount code (login required) >
Not an AIA member? Join today to get your discount.
AIA Contract Documents study resources
Below are two lists of AIA Contract Documents sample PDFs, available for ARE candidates to use in each of the settings described in the Construction Documents and Services division of the ARE.
Conventional Family Samples
- A101-2007, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor where the basis of payment is a Stipulated Sum
- A201-2007, General Conditions of the Contract for Construction
- A701-1997, Instructions to Bidders
- B101-2007, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect
- C401-2007, Standard Form of Agreement Between Architect and Consultant
Contract Administration and Project Management Form Samples