AIA Public Awareness Campaign 2018: Blueprint for Better
In recent years, the AIA has conducted research with both architects and the public. The research showed there is tremendous respect for the profession of architecture, but the public isn't always aware of what architects do or how their work affects society. The truth is, in partnership with their clients and communities, architects plant the seeds that blossom into stronger communities. That's a story we want to tell.
This year’s campaign, Blueprint for Better, brings to life the role of architects as thought and action leaders in improving our cities, towns and neighborhoods. One of the AIA’s main goals this year is connecting with civic leaders and elected officials. We want architects to have a key seat at the table when important civic decisions are made.
The campaign’s media and public relations efforts include a partnership with innovative outlets like Wired, a continuous presence at the 2018 Conference on Architecture, sponsorships, and events such as Civic I/O at SXSW.
Creating a Blueprint for Better is more than a profession, it’s what architects are called to do.
AIA Film Challenge
The fourth annual AIA Film Challenge invites architects and filmmakers to collaborate in telling stories of projects done in partnership with civic leaders and the community. The Film Challenge is an opportunity to demonstrate how architects are having a positive impact on our towns and cities by creating a Blueprint for Better.
To launch the 2018 AIA Film Challenge, this year’s documentary short film highlights rebuilding efforts in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria slammed the island in September 2017, leaving more than 3 million American citizens without power and hundreds homeless or without roofs. Caño Martin Peña: A Blueprint for Better, tells the story of ongoing efforts by architects and civic leaders working together to rebuild the Caño Martin Peña neighborhood in San Juan, bringing hubs of light to community centers and replacing roofs on residents’ homes.
Watch the 2018 documentary short.
There are many ways to engage and maximize the impact of the campaign this year.
- Read and share inspiring Blueprint for Better stories and sign up for updates on blueprintforbetter.org
- Use the hashtag #BlueprintforBetter to join the conversation and promote the good work of architects.
- Component executives can access all campaign resources on Brandfolder - logos, tips on how to host a film series and more.
- Read The Architect’s Voice, AIA’s Message Book, which helps explain the work of architects to the public. Or, take the training course on AIAU.
- Download the Blueprint for Better campaign one-pager to share this information with fellow members and colleagues.
- Participate in the AIA Film Challenge. Use this resource to guide you through the process of creating and promoting an impactful short film.
- Engage with your civic leaders. This toolkit will teach you to position yourself as a trusted advisor, and as a result, demonstrate the value architects bring to their community.