Blueprint for Better Campaign 2019
In recent years, the AIA has conducted research with both architects and the public. The research showed there is tremendous respect for the profession of architecture, but the public isn't always aware of what architects do or how their work affects society. The truth is, in partnership with their clients and communities, architects plant the seeds that blossom into stronger communities. That's a story we want to tell.
In 2019, Blueprint for Better brings to life the role of architects as thought and action leaders in improving our cities, towns, and neighborhoods. One of the AIA’s main goals this year is strengthening partnerships with civic leaders and elected officials. We want architects to have a key seat at the table when important civic decisions are made.
With a focus on thought leadership and influence, this year’s campaign will feature strategic partnerships and community engagement. Architects will facilitate design thinking workshops with members of the community during Chicago Ideas Week. AIA will also promote the value of architecture to mayors at key events and meetings, including US Conference of Mayors, Mayors Innovation Project, and Civic I/O, the mayors’ summit at SXSW. Additionally, the campaign’s media efforts feature a partnership with the innovative Wired magazine.
Creating a Blueprint for Better is more than a profession, it’s what architects are called to do.
AIA Film Challenge
The 2018 AIA Film Challenge brought together architects and filmmakers to tell stories of designers, civic leaders, and communities working toward positive impact, creating a Blueprint for Better.
The documentary short film that launched the 2018 AIA Film Challenge highlights rebuilding efforts in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria slammed the island in September 2017, leaving more than 3 million American citizens without power and hundreds homeless or without roofs. Caño Martin Peña: A Blueprint for Better, tells the story of ongoing efforts by architects and civic leaders working together to rebuild the Caño Martin Peña neighborhood in San Juan, bringing hubs of light to community centers and replacing roofs on residents’ homes.
There are many ways to engage and maximize the impact of the campaign this year.
- Read and share inspiring Blueprint for Better stories and sign up for updates on blueprintforbetter.org
- Use the hashtag #BlueprintforBetter to join the conversation and promote the good work of architects.
- Engage with your civic leaders. This toolkit will teach you to position yourself as a trusted advisor, and as a result, demonstrate the value architects bring to their community.
- Component executives can access all campaign resources on Brandfolder - logos, tips on how to host a film series and more.
- Read The Architect’s Voice, AIA’s Message Book, which helps explain the work of architects to the public. Or, take the training course on AIAU.
- Download the Blueprint for Better campaign one-pager to share this information with fellow members and colleagues.
- Watch and share the 2018 AIA Film Challenge winning films on AIAFilmChallenge.org.
- Learn how architects are working with communities through our series with WIRED: Blueprint for Better: Rebuilding an Island, Designing a Safer School, and The Future of Affordable Housing.