2019 AIA Innovation Awards honor six design projects
Awards recognize projects for original design applications.
WASHINGTON – Oct. 9, 2019 - The American Institute of Architects (AIA) is recognizing six exceptional design projects with its 2019 Innovation Awards. Complete details for each awarded project are available on AIA’s website.
The Innovation Awards recognize the exemplary use and implementation of innovative technologies and progressive practices among architects, designers, collaborators and clients. Awarded projects must support the design, delivery and operation of buildings or research in practice and academia. This year’s recipients for the 2019 Innovation Awards—which were selected by AIA’s Technology in Architectural Practice Knowledge Community—are as follows:
Category A: Holistic Design
- Buoyant Ecologies Float Lab | CCA Architectural Ecologies Lab
- IIT Innovation Center (Ed Kaplan Family Institute for Innovation and Tech Entrepreneurship), Chicago | John Ronan
Architects Category B: Development of Design or Design-Thinking
- Baxter Parametric CMU Wall, Los Angeles | Ehrlich Yanai Rhee Chaney Architects
- MIT Sean Collier Memorial, Boston | Höweler + Yoon Architecture
- Overhaul the curriculum, not just a course | Faculty of the University of Tennessee School of Architecture
- Performative Millwork: The Coca-Cola Stage at Alliance Theatre, Atlanta | Trahan Architects
Visit AIA’s website for more information on the Innovation Awards.
Founded in 1857, AIA consistently works to create more valuable, healthy, secure, and sustainable buildings, neighborhoods, and communities. Through more than 200 international, state and local chapters, AIA advocates for public policies that promote economic vitality and public wellbeing.
AIA provides members with tools and resources to assist them in their careers and business as well as engaging civic and government leaders and the public to find solutions to pressing issues facing our communities, institutions, nation, and world. Members adhere to a code of ethics and conduct to ensure the highest professional standards.