ACTIVATE North Carolina
Inspiring people to take action and get involved in their communities.
We believe everyone wants to beinvolved in the decisions that shape their lives.
That's why we started Activate North Carolina.We want to inspire people to take action and get involved in their communities.
WHY IT MATTERS?
HOW DID IT START?
Activate North Carolina started as Activate 14 which was a program series hosted during the summer of 2014 and continued into 2015. Programs were hosted at the Center for Architecture and Design in Raleigh, NC. which is located at 14 East Peace Street and inspired the name.
The original organizers hoped to grow participation at the Center. They started with three goals in mind:
- Promote the Center for Architecture and Design as a public resource
- Engage architects, artists, and designers in exploring “big picture” questions
- Convene the public around environmental and social issues
The Activate 14 programming included talks, workshops, parking lot expos, and design-builds exploring a variety of issues like food, transportation, and housing. Each event was designed to be a call to action for those interested in activating their communities and wanting to make a difference in shaping the world around them.
Citizens in Raleigh and the Triangle embraced the inaugural programming. This interest lead to the AIANC establishing it as a statewide program called Activate North Carolina.
WHAT DO ARCHITECTS DO?
Architects design buildings. They also help people shape the future of their communities by applying their skill sets in new ways. Architects can:
- Guide - Architects use a design process to find solutions, facilitating clearer communication
- Listen - Identify opportunties and potential challenges through interviews and conversations
- Observe - Collect understanding and offer different perspectives
- Advocate - Support citizens as they develop more confidence to seek change
- Connect - Facilitate relationships and identify key stakeholders
- Envision - Communicate tangible ideas by illustrating a vision that shows the future a community desires
Competitions and Events