Resources for Emerging Professionals
Networking, AXP, ARE, Etc.
Welcome to AIA Kentucky’s Emerging Professionals Resource Center, where you can find networking opportunities, career development tools and links to great resources for the AXP, ARE, etc. We hope that you will find this page to be a valuable resource and, if you are looking for something that you can’t find, please let us know. We are committed to helping you succeed and we will work to help you find it!
Architectural Experience Program: AXP Resources & Coordinators
Completing the Architectural Experience Program (AXP) is a requirement in Kentucky to obtain an Architecture License. You are eligible to begin AXP once you have successfully established one of the following:
- Enrollment in a NAAB/CACB-accredited degree program.
- Enrollment in a pre-professional architecture degree program at a school that offers a NAAB/CACB-accredited degree program.
- Employment in work setting A after obtaining a U.S. high school diploma, General Education Degree (GED) equivalent, or comparable foreign degree.
NCARB Registration is required to participate in the AXP. Complete your free registration HERE.
For more information, please go to www.ncarb.org.
Kentucky AXP Coordinators
Kentucky State Coordinator: Jean-Paul Grivas, AIA
University of Kentucky AXP Educator Coordinator: Mark O'Bryan, AIA
Central Kentucky Chapter Coordinator: Jean-Paul Grivas, AIA
East Kentucky Chapter Coordinator: Bradley Beatty, Assoc. AIA
Architect Registration Examination: ARE Links & Resources
Sights on Success with AIA ARE Prep: Powered by Black Spectacles
In an effort to support candidates preparing for the Architect Registration Exam® (ARE®), the AIA has partnered with online architectural learning company Black Spectacles to launch to AIA ARE Prep: Powered by Black Spectacles, a comprehensive library of high-quality online video tutorials that prepare licensure candidates for the ARE.
To expand upon this resource, AIA Kentucky has purchased a component license for Black Spectacles and developed a group study program called Sights on Success. Click here to learn more about it!
ARE u Studying? Facebook Group Established
Kentucky's 'ARE u Studying' Facebook Group allows you to connect with fellow emerging professionals in our state who are studying for the ARE's: Join today!
Study Materials Available
AIA Kentucky has purchased a set of A.R.E. Study Materials for placement at the UK College of Design Library. The following items are available for check-out in accordance with Library policy:
1. Complete overview of Architect Registration Exam: ARE Review Manual, 2008; by Ballast
2. Building Systems: ARE Sample Problems and Practice Exam (BS); by Ballast
3. Construction Documents & Services: ARE Sample Problems and Practice Exam (CDS); by Ballast
4. Building Design & Construction Systems: ARE Sample Problems and Practice Exam (BDC); by Ballast
5. Structural Systems: ARE Sample Problems and Practice Exam (SS); by Taher
6. Programming, Planning & Practice: ARE Sample Problems and Practice Exam (PPP); by Ballast
7. Site Planning & Design: ARE Sample Problems and Practice Exam (SPD); by Ballast
8. Schematic Design: ARE Sample Problems and Practice Exam (SD); by Ballast
9. Solutions: Understanding the Graphic Vignettes; by Norman Dorf
*Members of AIA Kentucky interested in purchasing their own study materials are eligible for a 20% discount through Kaplan Architecture Education! Click here for more information on this promotional offer.
Lexington Emerging Professionals Network (LEPN)
OVR Associate Director, Craig Chamberlain, Assoc. AIA, has created the Lexington Emerging Professionals Network (LEPN), to provide young architects in the Lexington area an opportunity for networking and fellowship with their peers. The goal of the LEPN is to engage all emerging professionals in the larger Lexington architectural community. The LEPN holds monthly meet-ups at local restaurants, where all area emerging professionals are welcome, regardless of AIA membership. Follow LEPN on Facebook for event announcements and join us at our next gathering for drinks and conversation!