American University Washington College of Law
The 312,000-square-foot facility is designed to meet the needs of modern-day law students while honoring the legacy of its historic site.
Since its founding in 1896, the American University Washington College of Law has continuously evolved to meet the changing needs of legal education. Designed to provide access to new experiences, the facility emphasizes collaboration, skills development, interaction with the public and legal community, and active participation in specialized programs. Its new home on the university's Tenley Campus in Washington, DC, enhances the institution’s rich tradition of innovation, excellence, and passion for the rule of law in the United States and beyond.
The 312,000-square-foot facility is configured to define a prominent identity while honoring the legacy of the site, designated as a National Register Historic District. The campus's Capital Hall, designed in 1904, and the Chapel, designed in 1921, contribute to its historic character.
For its 1,700 students and 430 faculty and staff, the new and renovated buildings form a connected complex of teaching spaces, conference facilities, legal clinic resources, teaching courtrooms, law library, alumni center, faculty and staff offices and multiple student study/meeting spaces. Outdoor spaces include a central quadrangle and an accessible front lawn that provide opportunities for interaction.
The facility is targeting LEED Gold certification; among its sustainable features is a progressive and energy-efficient dedicated outside air system that works in parallel with a radiant heating and cooling mechanical system. Construction commenced in June 2013, and the facility opened for its first class in January 2016. Whiting-Turner is the construction manager and SmithGroupJJR is the architecture/engineering design firm.