Framework for Design Excellence: Design for Equitable Communities
Design solutions affect more than the client and current occupants. Good design positively impacts future occupants and the larger community.
- What is the project's greater reach? How could this project contribute to creating a diverse, accessible, walkable, just, and human-scaled community?
- Who might this project be forgetting? How can the design process and outcome remove barriers and promote inclusion and social equity, particularly with respect to vulnerable communities?
- What opportunities exist in this project to include, engage, and promote human connection?
- How can the design support health and resilience for the community during times of need or during emergencies?
- Extend our reach beyond projects.
- social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- community engagement and gathering
- community resilience
- mobility and access
If you can do only one (or a few) thing(s):
- Work to create thriving communities.
- Plan for robust stakeholder engagement.
- Facilitate equitable gathering and connecting in the design and beyond buildings in the community.
- Organize the design team so that disciplines integrate and are not siloed.