Franklin County Justice Facility
Awarded a citation
The 1930’s era neo-classical courthouse required a significant addition, in a downtown of 2 and 3 story buildings. The addition provides a welcoming new entry, modern public spaces and a suite of new courtrooms and chambers. The existing building is fully restored to efficiently house the administrative trial court functions. On its steeply sloping site, the addition’s glazed and inflected facade stands in contrast to the brick structure, while the limestone cladding compliments the preexisting. Scale is carefully adjusted to maintain visual continuity with the original cornice line. The building is crowned with a luminous courtroom floor.
"Elegant addition to the urban context in the appropriate scale." ~ Jury comment