AIA Mid-Michigan Chapter History
The AIA Mid-Michigan chapter was created by a number of Lansing-area architects who prior to 1960, were members of the AIA Western Michigan chapter in Grand Rapids. In late 1959 the Lansing- area architects, who were informally organized as the Association of Lansing Architects, had begun discussions about starting their own organization or AIA chapter. To further their efforts, the organizers sought approval from both the Western Michigan chapter of the AIA and the national AIA Board of Directors for a new AIA chapter.
In mid-1960, the Western Michigan Chapter of the AIA voted to release Ingham, Eaton, and Clinton Counties to the new Mid-Michigan chapter. A request was made to the Saginaw Valley Chapter to release Shiawassee County to the new Mid-Michigan Chapter, but that request was denied. In the fall of 1960 a telegram received from Linn Smith from the AIA National Board of Directors stated that the Mid-Michigan Chapter charter had been approved. Committees were soon organized and a board of directors was elected. The Western Michigan Chapter meeting of November 21, 1960, was the last meeting that the Lansing group attended. November 22, 1960, was the first meeting of the Mid-Michigan Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Membership transfers to the new chapter were effective January 1, 1961, and the Articles of Incorporation were dated March 7, 1961. A celebratory charter night dinner meeting was held on January 27, 1961, at the Lansing Civic Center and was attended by national AIA President Philip Will Jr. and Lansing Mayor Ralph W. Crego.
The current board of directors of the Mid-Michigan chapter is proud to continue the efforts started in 1959 by holding monthly membership meetings, providing scholarship opportunities, and creating educational opportunities for its members and the public.