Framework for Design Excellence: Design for Integration
Good design elevates any project, no matter how small, with a thoughtful process that delivers both beauty and function in balance. It is the element that binds all the principles together with a big idea.
- What is the concept or purpose behind this project, and how will the priorities within the nine other principles inform the unique approach to this project?
- How will the project engage the senses and connect people to place?
- What makes this a project that people will fight to preserve?
- What design strategies can provide multiple benefits across the triple bottom line of social, economic, and environmental value?
- central design and performance concept
- connections with place, climate, culture, and people
- beauty and delight (multisensory!)
- connecting with the other nine principles
- integrated design process
If you can do only one (or a few) thing(s):
- Design a building to lift the spirits and delight the senses.
- Design for the engagement of natural and cultural environments.
- Use an integrated design process that respects and values multiple viewpoints.
- Map, identify, and engage diverse project stakeholders throughout the integrated design process.