Framework for Design Excellence: Design for Economy
Good design adds value for owners, occupants, community, and planet, regardless of project size and budget.
- How do we provide abundance while living within our means?
- How will the design choices balance first cost with long-term value?
- How can the performance of this project be improved in ways that are cost and design neutral?
- building size
- material use
- operational requirements
- financing and incentives
- community links
If you can do only one (or a few) thing(s):
- Reuse an existing building if possible.
- Edit your palette and keep the total number of materials to a minimum.
- Rightsize the program early and keep the square footage as efficient as possible while managing design for change.