The Healthcare Design Awards showcase the best of healthcare building design, healthcare planning and healthcare design-oriented research. The awards highlight the trends of healthcare facilities and the future direction of these facilities. Projects should exhibit conceptual strength that solve aesthetic, civic, urban, and social concerns as well as the requisite functional and sustainability concerns associated with a healthcare setting.
All entries must meet the following requirements:
- Because this is a program that will evaluate modern trends in healthcare design, projects submitted must have been completed after January 1, 2014.
- Projects may be re-submitted in future year's competitions, as long as they still meet the submission requirements. Projects that have received an AIA/AAH award are not eligible for resubmission in the same category.
- Projects may be located anywhere in the world, but must have been designed by an architect licensed in the United States or in one of its territories at the time of the project's completion. "Completion" is synonymous with "substantial completion" as defined in the standard AIA documents governing construction.
- The submitting architect may qualify as a member of a design team, whether or not serving as the head of the team. When one architect is not the sole author, all other participants contributing substantially to the design of the project must be given credit as part of the submission, regardless of professional discipline.
- For multiple building projects, the architect submitting the project (or portion thereof) shall offer detailed evidence of authorship of each portion of the project.
- Award recipient entries become the property of the AIA and will be retained in the collections of the AIA Library and Archives.
- Any project that credits any 2019 AIA/AAH Healthcare Design Awards jury member or their firm as architect, associate architect, consultant, or client is ineligible and will be disqualified if submitted.
- Communication with 2019 AIA/AAH Healthcare Design Awards jurors by the entrants is inappropriate. All architects of award-winning projects will be required to verify they had no written or verbal communication with any 2019 AIA/AAH Healthcare Design Awards juror regarding any submitted project from the time of submittal to completion of the jury process.
- Project authorship on all submissions will remain concealed throughout the deliberations of the jury. if the authorship is revealed on any of the images, plans, narrative, or file name the entry will be disqualified.