LAST UPDATED: April 12, 2019
This privacy notice describes how AIA National (“AIA”) collects, uses, shares, and retains personal information that you provide to us, or that we collect, when you use the AIA website located at www.aia.org and other websites owned or controlled by AIA (“Site” or “Sites”) or related mobile applications, use AIA products and services and complete related forms, participate in AIA events, or communicate with one of our customer service representatives (“Personal Data”).
Please note, this Privacy Notice does not cover the individual privacy practices of the websites of AIA state and local chapters, the AIA Trust, and the American Institute of Architecture Students which are separate legal entities that, depending on where they are located, may be subject to different laws and requirements than those of AIA (to understand how chapters use personal information, please contact them directly). If you disagree with anything in this Privacy Notice, you must not use the sites or mobile applications, use AIA products and services or complete related forms, or provide personal information to use in connection with AIA’s products or services.
Finally, purchasers of AIA products, including AIA Contract Documents®(ACD), are subject to separate terms of service. Please refer to your product terms and conditions for those details. In the event of a conflict between this policy and the product's terms and conditions, the latter shall govern.
HOW TO CONTACT US
AIA is headquartered in the District of Columbia, in the United States. You may message us at AIA’s internal data protection email address if you have any questions or concerns about AIA’s policies or practices regarding Personal Data at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Institute of Architects
1735 New York Ave NW
Washington, DC 20006-5292, USA
The AIA's hours of operation are from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday (except national holidays). To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity. Please do not send us sensitive information, such as your credit card or social security numbers, via e-mail. It is possible that during transmission of your e-mail this information may be intercepted by a third party. We cannot guarantee its safety while in transit. If you choose to contact AIA staff using an e-mail address, a discussion forum, AIA blog, text message or other electronic communication method, or if you choose to complete an online form provided on the Sites you may be asked to provide your name, e-mail address or other personal information. The purpose of collecting this information is to allow staff to respond to your inquiry or to evaluate individual web services. Only authorized staff will have access to the information provided and the information will only be used for the purpose it was intended.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL DATA
Your privacy is important to the AIA. We adhere to all applicable privacy laws and regulations affecting your data, and strive to adopt best practices when it comes to your privacy.
Registration is required to obtain any product or service (tangible or virtual) offered by the AIA. Individuals can register with AIA to receive a logon online or by completing a paper form. Some products and services also require AIA membership. For additional information on those products please refer to AIA’s product listing or its terms of service. In all cases registration requires that a valid mailing address be submitted to appropriately fulfil a product or service request. Online registration requires a valid email be provided because an online profile is created during the registration process.
Occasionally AIA asks for general demographics data as a part of its diversity and inclusion initiatives and commitment.
When purchasing a product or service online users are asked to provide a credit card number to complete their transaction. AIA does not store credit card information after the transaction is complete. AIA follows Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards for all online and paper sales and this practice is accepted by PCI.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
AIA may communicate with its members and customers electronically and through bulk mail advertisements. All electronic communications adhere to the CAN SPAM Act.
Your data is used according to your relationship to the AIA. A description of the different relationship types is below. Please note, although the American Institute of Architects controls, operates, maintains, and oversees the database in which your data is stored, your data is shared with AIA chapters, AIAS, the Architects Foundation, AIA Trust.
Non-member Customer Data
Non-member customer data generally obtained through online or storefront (paper) registration and sales is for internal AIA purposes only and is not shared or sold to vendors for bulk mail solicitations. It is used to solicit feedback on the product or service purchased and to inform customer of new products and services available for sale. It is also used for market research within the AIA, and to develop products and services to benefit the architectural profession.
Member data is generally obtained through AIA’s online registration or through paper applications submitted for membership.
AIA has several advantage partners who have access to membership lists for promotional mailings. Email addresses, telephone numbers, and other demographic data are not made available to our advantage partners.
Member data is used for market research within the AIA, and to develop products and services to benefit the architectural profession.
COMMITMENT TO DATA SECURITY
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, AIA has implemented the appropriate physical, and electronic procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online and by paper. For Site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, AIA computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Anyone using this system expressly consents to such monitoring and is advised that if such monitoring reveals evidence of possible abuse or criminal activity, such evidence may be provided to appropriate law enforcement officials.
The portions of our Site requiring login or data entry by Web users are protected by industry standard security practices. All paper applications are scanned and maintained in a secure server environment.
All records in our database are accessible online by their individual or company owner. To access your information to modify it or to opt out of any of AIA’s communications visit www.aia.org and click on the Login button to sign in and manage your AIA account. You may also contact us as indicated under the “How to Contact Us” section.
WEB BROWSING PRACTICES
You can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser (see your browser Help for how to do this).
The Cookies We Use:
- Email related cookies: Our Site offers email subscription services and cookies may be used to remember if you are already registered and whether to show certain notifications which might only be valid to subscribed/unsubscribed users.
- Forms related cookies: When you submit data through an online form, such as those found on contact pages or comment forms, cookies may be set to remember your user details for future correspondence.
- Analytics cookies: Our Site uses certain third-party cookies, such as Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and Google AdWords. These are trusted analytics solutions on the web for helping us to understand how you use the Site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the Site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content.
External Links Disclaimer
AIA provides links from our Web pages to external Web sites because they provide information that may interest our customers. This is provided as a convenience only. External links do not constitute an endorsement by the AIA of the opinions, products, or services presented on the external Site, or of any sites linked to it. AIA is not responsible for the legality or accuracy of information on externally linked sites, or for any costs incurred while using externally linked sites.
Social Networking Sites and Applications
Our Sites are not directed to children under the age of 13, if you are not 13 years or older, do not use our Site. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If we learn that Personal Data of persons less than 13 years-of-age has been collected through our Site, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child or a minor under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated Personal Data to our Site without your consent, please contact us at email@example.com so that we may take appropriate action to remove the minor's Personal Data from our systems.
EU DATA SUBJECTS
Scope. This section applies if you are an individual located in the European Union (“EU”) (“EU Data Subject”). For these purposes, reference to the EU also includes the European Economic Area countries of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway and, where applicable, Switzerland.
Data Controller. The American Institute of Architects is the data controller for the processing of your Personal Data as described in this Policy.
Your Rights. Subject to applicable law, you have the following rights in relation to your Personal Data:
- Right of access: If you ask us, we will confirm whether we are processing your Personal Data and, if so, provide you with a copy of that Personal Data (along with certain other details). If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
- Right to rectification: If your Personal Data is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to have it rectified or completed. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the rectification where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to erasure: You may ask us to delete or remove your Personal Data and we will do so in some circumstances, such as where we no longer need it (we may not delete your data when other interests outweigh your right to deletion). If we have shared your data with others, we will tell them about the erasure where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to restrict processing: You may ask us to restrict or ‘block’ the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as where you contest the accuracy of that Personal Data or object to us processing it. We will tell you before we lift any restriction on processing. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the restriction where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to data portability: Effective May 25, 2018, you have the right to obtain your Personal Data from us that you consented to give us or that is necessary to perform a contract with you. We will give you your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You may reuse it elsewhere.
- Right to object: You may ask us at any time to stop processing your Personal Data, and we will do so:
- Right to withdraw consent: If we rely on your consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your prior consent.
- Right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority: If you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we have handled your Personal Data, you can report it to the data protection authority that is authorized to hear those concerns.
You may exercise your rights by contacting us as indicated under “How to Contact Us” section.
MODIFICATIONS TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
If we make any material changes to this Notice or the way we use, share or collect personal data, we will notify you by revising the “Last Updated” at the top of this Notice, prominently posting an announcement of the changes on our Site, or sending an email to the email address you most recently provided us (unless we do not have such an email address) prior to the new policy taking effect.
Any changes we make to this Notice in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notification sent to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this Notice.
AIA WEB PROPERTIES
AIA Store https://store.aia.org/
AIA Conference on Architecture https://conferenceonarchitecture.com/
Honors & Awards https://aia.secure-platform.com/
ACD Main Site https://www.aiacontracts.org/
ACD Online Service Ecommerce https://constructiondocuments.aia.org/
ACD Online Service Core https://contractdocs.aia.org/
ACD Docs-on-Demand https://documentsondemand.aia.org/
ACD Online Service Help https://help.aiacontracts.org/
AIA Career Center https://careercenter.aia.org/
The Architects Foundation https://architectsfoundation.org/
Membership Join https://membership.aia.org/
Membership Renew https://renew.aia.org/
New Grad – Join AIA for free https://joinus.aia.org/
AIA 2030 Design Data Exchange https://2030ddx.aia.org/
AIA KnowledgeNet https://network.aia.org
Architectural Adventures https://www.architecturaladventures.org/
2018 AIA Film Challenge https://aiafilmchallenge.org/
Blueprint for Better https://blueprintforbetter.org/
Emerging Professional Companion http://www.epcompanion.org/
COTE Tope Ten Green Projects http://www.aiatopten.org/
Architect Finder http://architectfinder.aia.org/
How Design Works http://howdesignworks.aia.org/
AIA Compensation Survey Salary Calculator http://info.aia.org/salary/
State Governments Network Toolkit http://www.aia.org/SGN-Toolkit/index.htm
ARCC/EAAE International Conference on Architectural Research – June 2010 http://info.aia.org/arcc/
2007 Research Summit http://info.aia.org/researchsummit/